Contact Me - What's New on the site - Leeds United news

E Hampson (outside-right) 1917-18

Little is known of Hampson, apart from the fact that he was the brother of Leeds City captain Jack Hampson, with both siblings having played under City manager Herbert Chapman at Northampton Town in earlier years.

He was called into the City side on 3 November 1917 for a Midland Section game at Grimsby Town and asked to play in the troublesome outside-right position, the sixth player to fill the berth in ten games that season. After Corporal J Barrett played throughout the first five fixtures, the role had been filled by N Arkle, Stan Robinson, Jimmy Stephenson and Corporal Walter Grant in rapid succession. Nevertheless, City had won seven of their nine fixtures and were heading for a title success at the end of the season. There were two other Hampsons in the side that day, goalkeeper Tommy and full-back Billy, brothers but unrelated to E Hampson, while Jack was unavailable through injury. Later in the season, a fifth Hampson, Walker, brother to Tommy and Billy, would get a run of three games.

E Hampson had a decent game against Grimsby, with goalkeeper Sutcliffe saving from him in the first minute and a later shot being blocked by one of the Town defenders as City won 4-0.

Brother Jack replaced Hampson at outside-right the following week, but he was back in the side at Barnsley on 8 December, this time on the left wing, with Jack at inside-right. Centre-forward Jack Peart headed home Hampson's corner for City's third goal in a 4-3 victory.

On 2 February, when Charlie Buchan played his one and only game for Leeds, against Nottingham Forest, Hampson was called on to help out Forest, who were a man short. City won 2-0.

Hampson only played one more game for City that season, the 3-1 defeat of Bradford PA on 30 March, but he was back at the start of the 1918/19 campaign, playing in the first four matches. He scored his only City goal in the third of those fixtures, at home to Birmingham on 21 September, when he added the final goal in a 3-1 victory.

Hampson was never heard of again.