Contact Me - What's New on the site - Newsline

Home Page for The Mighty Mighty WhitesRead about the history of football in LeedsRead season by season reviews of the fortunes of Leeds United and CityRead about some of the most memorable games in the history of Leeds United and CityRead about the men who have managed Leeds United and CityRead about some of the great players who have turned out for Leeds United and CityCheck out some of the books which have been written about Leeds United and City
Players
James Henderson (left-half) 1905-08

James HendersonBorn: Morpeth, 10 June 1877

As a first class sprinter with Morpeth Harriers, who is said to have clocked 11 seconds for the 100 yards in 1908, James Henderson was one of the quickest players on Leeds City's books.

Henderson began his football career with local clubs Morpeth Harriers and Morpeth Town. He joined Southern League Reading at the start of the 1903/04 season, but moved on to Second Division Bradford City a year later. He made 14 League appearances for the Bantams.

In the summer of 1905 Henderson joined newly elected Leeds City, along with Bradford team mate Tommy Drain.

Henderson made his Leeds debut in their first ever League game, against his former Bradford City colleagues, a match Bradford won 1-0. He understandably got the bird from the same supporters that had been cheering him just months before.

Quite ironically, Henderson was criticised for being slow and continually caught out of position, but eventually did enough to endear himself to the City faithful. He made 75 League and 5 Cup appearances for the Peacocks over the next three years, though he was injured for most of 1906/07 and suspended for a period in the following season.

Henderson signed for Preston North End in July 1908 before joining up with his younger brother, Bill, a right-back, at Clapton Orient in May 1909.

A year later he signed for Rochdale, playing on until December 1919 and making almost 200 appearances for the Dale. He had a lengthy period as trainer at the club, remaining at Spotland until 1930.